Emily Harman | Dept of Navy Small Business Programs Director (pre-retirement interview)
Jun 12, 2019
Small Business Success Tips Podcast (episode 23)
Summary: Emily Harman discusses DOD’s annual Small Business Training Week and her session on the power of positive small business storytelling as a strategy.
Guest Bio: One of the most vocal and visible champions for Small Businesses within the Navy, Emily Harman is an immensely qualified and highly respected GovCon influencer. After 30 years of federal service, Emily retired from Navy in June 2019.
As Director of the Department of the Navy's Office of Small Business Programs, Emily Harmon was the chief advisor to the Secretary of the Navy on all small business matters. She was responsible for small business acquisition policy and strategic initiatives, and ensured small businesses were provided maximum practicable opportunity to support the Navy and Marine Corps as prime and subcontractors. Emily's successor is Mr. Jimmy Smith.
Read Ms Harmon’s full biography here
In this episode, Emily Harman and Neil McDonnell discuss:
- Emily’s 1st and Final Tip | Lead with your capabilities – not your small business size status
- Emily’s 2nd and Final Tip| Read the Small Business Strategy online for each of the 10 Navy Buying Commands. Show the commands that you are paying attention
- the 10 Navy buying commands, their Small Business Directors, who buys what you sell, and how they use small business prime contractors vs large
- 2019 Small Business Training Week (SBTW19) | Annual DoD acquisition event to advance professional awareness and understanding of legislative, regulatory and policy changes; review acquisition best practices and efficient strategies
- how SBTW19 agency breakout sessions are designed to improve best practices, policies and procedures within buying commands, advancements in category management etc
- storytelling to convey more than facts and figures and how to tailor stories to suit different audiences
- ‘success stories’ to help buying commands visualize how companies can get mission accomplished.
- how ‘success stories’ can convince customers to consider moving contracts from Full and Open competition to Small Business or move from Small Business Set aside to HUBZone Set-aside
- how positive subcontracting stories from prime contractors illustrate how smalls can strengthen the government marketplace
- why delivering products and services on time, at cost, and being easy to deal with is MORE important than winning HUBZone contracts
10 NAVY BUYING COMMANDS
CONTACT | Navy OSBP | Facebook | LinkedIn
CONTACT Emily Harman personally
- Listen to Emily Harman online at 'Onward', her new weekly podcast consisting of authentic conversations about facing adversity and moving forward.
VIDEO: See also: Emily Harmon present to small business directors from the Army, Navy and Air Force during Small Business Training Week (SBTW18) (April 24, 2018)
Host: Neil McDonnell is an experienced small business owner and seasoned entrepreneur. An Army veteran and the founder HUBZone Chamber of Commerce, Neil is a government contracting subject expert and HUBZone advocate for media and conferences.
His podcast series offers key information and tips to help small businesses gain insight into government agencies and large prime contractors and develop strategies to effectively present services.